The church would like to think that it stands for eternal unchanging values. Well, yes … but change is in the air in striking ways, and not just in one or two churches. The groundswell among laity and (often) clergy is overwhelming but the resistance from those who hold the reigns of power is strikingly alike. Power and authority is a tough thing to give up.
Rome has criticised US Catholic nuns for working too closely with the poor and not speaking loudly enough about birth control and homosexuality. While nuns say that they will not compromise their mission three Catholic bishops are in talks with the nuns in hope to find agreement. Bishops and Nuns hold ‘cordial and open’ meeting
A Maryknoll priest has been dismissed from the priesthood for refusing to recant his call for the ordination of women. Maryknoll: Vatican has dismissed Roy Bourgeois from order | National Catholic Reporter.
While the Church of England votes against ordaining women bishops, down in Africa Anglicans have ordained their first woman bishop.
Seventh Day Adventists have voted to ordain women at all levels of their organisation except for the General Conference leadership, which focusses simply on organisational unity. Why women’s ordination in the Seventh Day Adventist churches?
I guess you’ve heard of Sex Abuse in the Catholic Church. This link records convictions against Australian Catholic priests and religious brothers but we know the abuse has occurred around the world. Meanwhile the church declares that it has “taken decisive steps in the past 20 years to make child safety a priority and to help the victims of abuse,” yet, the abuse continues. Why is it that a supporter of women’s ordination is dismissed while child abusers are not?
The church is in turmoil. These are pivotal days. Without engaging with our changing culture we are a lost people and a lost church.
- Maryknoll priest Roy Bourgeois expelled over support for women’s ordination – Articles (religionnews.com)
- The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith Canonically Dismisses Roy Bourgeois (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)
- Vatican dismisses Maryknoll priest from order (catholicnewsagency.com)
- Message from the Rector General of the Society of Catholic Priests (trinitylewisham.com)
- Church of England against women bishops (paltelegraph.com)
- 2 women ordained as LA’s first Catholic priests (abclocal.go.com)